Model name TA
Series TA Special
Year of manufacture 1937
Chassis number TA1201 Aufbau TA1127
Condition category Restored
Previous owners 3
First registration 12/1937
Engine number MPJG1459
Power (kw/hp) 73/98 (Factory: 50 hp)
Cubic capacity (ccm) 1,292
Steering Right (RHD)
The MG T series is a range of body-on-frame convertible sports cars that were produced by MG from 1936 to 1955. The series included the MG TA, MG TB, MG TC, MG TD, and MG TF Midget models. The last of these models, the TF, was replaced by the MGA
The MG TA Midget replaced the PB in 1936.It was an evolution of the previous car and was 3 inches (76 mm) wider in its track at 45 inches (1,100 mm) and 7 inches (180 mm) longer in its wheelbase at 94 inches (2,400 mm).
The previous advanced overhead-cam inline-four engine was now not in use by any other production car so it was replaced by the MPJG OHV unit from the Wolseley 10 but with twin SU carburettors, modified camshaft and manifolding. The engine displaced just 1292 cc, with a stroke of 102 mm (4.0 in) and a bore of 63.5 mm (2.5 in) and power output was 50 hp (40.3 kW) at 4,500 rpm. The four-speed manual gearbox now had synchromesh on the two top ratios and was connected to the engine by a cork-faced clutch running in oil. Unlike the PB, hydraulic brakes were fitted with 9-inch (230 mm) drums.
Like the PB, most were two-seat open cars with a steel body on an ash frame. A bench-type seat was fitted with storage space behind. From 1938 the car could also be had with a more luxurious Tickford drophead coupé body by Salmons of Newport Pagnell and 252 were made. The soft top could be used in three positions, fully open, closed or open just over the seats. Wind-up windows were fitted to the higher topped doors making the car more weathertight and individual bucket seats used in the fully carpeted interior. Complete chassis were fitted with a very basic body at the Abingdon factory and driven to Newport Pagnell to have their coachwork fitted. A closed Airline coupé made by Carbodies, as fitted to the P type, was also offered but only one or two is thought to have been made.
The T-type was capable of reaching almost 80 mph (130 km/h) in standard tune with a 0–60 mph time of 23.1 seconds.
3,003 were made and in 1936 it cost £222 on the home market, the same as had been asked for the PB.
When first introduced the model was known as the T Type and only after the advent of the TB did the TA designation come into use.
Allan Tomlinson won the 1939 Australian Grand Prix driving an MG TA.
1937 MG TA Special
Brought to Austria by a British army officer in the 1940s. (Officially registered in Austria in 1948) Between 1945 and 1955 British troops were stationed in Parts of Austria The car was left back in Austria and became the first racing car of the young Erich Breinsberg. He raced in a few hill climb competitions, after the engine broke, he replaced it with a Triumph mechanic and raced again, but he later focused on small formela series, where he was successful driver in the late 1960s.
Breinsberg won the Formula V Europe-Championship, the Austrian Championship and raced and won the Europe Gold Championship as well in Formula Super V
and the Trans Atlantic Challenge in Daytona/USA
In his last years, he drove since 1967 in the racing team of Kurt Bergmann together with Dieter Quester (who focused on the European Touring Car Championship and won it in 1969, later formula 1 Driver), Helmut Marko (won Le Mans in 1971) and Niki Lauda.
In 1969 he won the Austrian Formula Car Championship ahead of the almost 9 years younger newcomer Niki Lauda. In a time were his teammates became
successful at international races, Breinsberg, also a generation of racing drivers older, retired from his active motorsport career, because of his wife, the daughter of LIEWERS, the biggest Austrian Volkswagen Dealer and worked there in the following years as CEO.
This TA was bought from \"AUTOHAUS LIEWERS\" in the year 1991. Has got complete Austrian registration papers and a copy from the vehicle department
of Vienna with the deregistration (probably to avoid taxes and insurance) from Erich Breinsberg dated 6. Aug. 1965.
In 2015 I bought the parts of this car and had it shipped to Darren Goodgame from Brooklands BodyCraft. His magical hands crafted this beautiful car while the engine was completly rebuild and fine tuned by no one else than John Seeber.
The car is now registered in Germany.
28,Findingstrasse 86923 Finning
image caption goes here2
image caption goes here3
image caption goes here4
image caption goes here5
image caption goes here6
image caption goes here7
image caption goes here8
image caption goes here9
image caption goes here10
image caption goes here11
image caption goes here12
image caption goes here13
image caption goes here15
image caption goes here16
image caption goes here17